Sunday, January 6, 2013

Quinoa-Chicken Burgers

I don't know what's in the air, but I've had quite the productive weekend this weekend. I've organized numerous cupboards, did a ton of laundry, grocery shopped, went to spin class, organized my office and had a chance to whip up a recipe today. It must be the New Year, I feel revitalized!

I had some ground chicken in my  freezer I didn't know what to do with. I've read a lot about quinoa burgers and have wanted to try them out for awhile, so I thought this would be the perfect combo. What's so great about this lean alternative to beef burgers is they are less greasy, full of fibre and packed with over 20 grams of protein per patty.

I try to use quinoa as much as humanly possible. I love it! Not only is it a nice change to the boring rice that we are used to, but it is jam packed with nutrients. It's a complete protein source which is great for vegans/vegetarians, but it is also packed with fibre.  phosphorus, magnesium and iron.


Oven Baked Quinoa-Chicken Burgers with an Avocado
Ricotta Dressing & Salsa

Ingredients:

1 package ground chicken or turkey
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp coriander
1 small avocado
1 cup light ricotta cheese
Dash of salt

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix chicken  (or turkey), quinoa, cumin, cayenne pepper and coriander in a medium bowl. Shape into 5 patties. Place on parchment paper and cook in oven for 30-40 minutes, flipping about twice during cooking. Cook until patties have a nice golden crisp.

For avocado dressing; place avocado, ricotta and salt in small food processor. Blend until smooth.

I prefer to use the thin burger buns over the regular ones, plus they are only 4 points+ and very hardy. Top your burger with the avocado dressing and a tablespoon of salsa. Serve with a side of coleslaw or salad.




Quinoa-Chicken Burger: 6 Points+ each
Avocado Ricotta Dressing: 1 Points+ per Tablespoon

My entire meal as pictured above (1 burger, 1 cup broccoli slaw) was only 12 Points+, amazing!

Enjoy!



1 comment :

  1. These look awesome! I am totally adding them to my "to make" list!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...